Home Insurance

RAC Home Insurance

Maximum buildings cover


Maximum contents cover


Cover per valuable

Up to £1,500

Endsleigh Home Insurance

Maximum buildings cover


Maximum contents cover


Cover per valuable

Up to £15,000

Your laptop, phone & other gadgets benefit from a 24 hour replacement service. 15% discount when you insure 3 or more. T&Cs apply. This is an insurance broker.

MoneySuperMarket Home Insurance

Maximum buildings cover


Maximum contents cover


Cover per valuable


Compare The Market Home Insurance

Maximum buildings cover


Maximum contents cover


Cover per valuable


Compare Home Insurance with Money Pug

It is important for all of us to feel safe and secure in our homes. It is important to know that we are covered for different eventualities. Home insurance can sometimes seem rather complicated, but Money Pug aims to take the stress and confusion out of the process as you seek and find the right home insurance deals for you. When you enter your details, you will be presented with the home insurance deals that meet your needs, so you can see at a glance all the different options that are available and save money on getting peace of mind.

What Do I Need To Have Ready Before I Compare Home Insurance?

Before you enter your details and receive your home insurance quotes, you will need to be able to let us know:

  • The approximate rebuild value of the property you want to insure. You don’t need to know exactly but it is important to be able to enter a rough amount. This figure may be available on a Home Report or in other documentation you received when you bought the property.
  • The rough age of the property.
  • The rough value of the contents of the property and any items worth over £500, or over £1,500 that may need to be insured separately.
  • Details of your current home insurance and of any claims you may previously have made.


What Will A Standard Home Insurance Policy Cover?

A standard home insurance policy will usually cover you for:

  • Flooding
  • Subsidence
  • Theft or Vandalism
  • Fire
  • Damage Caused by Lightning
  • Water Damage

Do I Need Non-Standard Insurance Cover?

If your home does not fit the norm, you may need non-standard insurance cover. Non-standard cover may be applicable to you if:

  • Your exterior walls are made from non-standard building materials such as timber, plastic, corrugated iron, fibreglass, flint, glass, metal, cobb, straw bales or wattle and daub.
  • Your roof is made of non-standard materials such as thatch, timber, glass, plastic, shingle, stramit or metal.
  • Your home has been classified as a listed building.
  • Your home has a history of subsidence.
  • Your home has recently had its foundations reinforced.
  • Your home has increased flood risk (lies within 400m of a watercourse or has a history of flooding.

How Can I Reduce Home Insurance Costs?

  • Try only to make a claim on home insurance when you absolutely have to do so.
  • Consider adding security measures such as better quality locks on doors and windows, or burglar alarms.
  • Fit and regularly test a smoke alarm.
  • Increase the excess – paying a higher voluntary excess can significantly reduce the cost of your insurance premium.
  • Limit holiday time and don’t go away for more than 28 days at a time. Insurers will offer better deals and cheaper home insurance premiums for occupied properties.
  • Buy buildings and contents insurance from the same company – this can often save you money.
  • Consider paying upfront – paying a lump sum rather than in monthly instalments can also often save you money.
  • Check for the very best deals for you using Money Pug’s useful home insurance comparison service.

What is Buildings Insurance?

Buildings insurance covers damage to the main structure of your home and its fixtures and fittings, but not the contents within it. Imagine that you could pick up your house and shake it. Everything that fell out would be covered by contents insurance, everything that remained would be included under buildings insurance cover. Some buildings insurance will also cover structures outwith the ain building envelope, such as sheds and garages, but it is important to check, as not all buildings insurance will cover garden buildings or outbuildings

What is Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance covers the contents of your home – everything that would fall out of your home if you could pick it up and shake it. Items covered under contents insurance include furniture, electrical equipment and personal belongings. Personal belongings can include everything from clothes and jewellery, to cameras and laptops. Make sure you do not double up on cover and exclude anything like mobile phones that may already be insured through a separate policy.

Do I Need Buildings Insurance?

You will not need to take out buildings insurance if you are a tenant – this will usually be taken care of my your landlord or housing association. You should also not need to get buildings insurance if your house is leasehold as it is the landlord's responsibility to insure the property in this instance. If, however, you own your home, you should get buildings insurance. If you take out a mortgage to buy a home, building insurance will usually be a condition of your contract and you will have to make sure that you put buildings insurance in place. Some mortgage providers offer buildings insurance as part of their service but this tends to be more expensive, so it a good idea to compare deals on Money Pug to find the best options for you.

Do I Need Contents Insurance?

Unlike car insurance, contents insurance is not a legal requirement, so there is no imperative to get contents insurance. That said, making sure your home contents is covered can be a very good idea, whether you rent or own your own home. It is highly recommended for most tenants and home owners and could help you rest easier knowing your items and personal belongings are covered should you incur losses. None of us like to think about disaster – but could you afford to replace everything inside your home if the worst happened? Many people believe that you can't afford not to have contents insurance. You may not think that you have a lot of things, but when you start adding it all up, you may find that you have more than you think.

How Do I Work Out How Much Buildings Insurance Cover to Get?

Your buildings insurance cover is worked out based on how much money it would cost to rebuild your home from scratch. It is important to remember that this rebuild value is not the same as the market value should you sell your home. This information can often be found on Home Reports or on other mortgage documentation from when you bought your home. Buildings insurance is compulsory for those with a mortgage.

How Do I Work Out How Much Contents Insurance Cover to Get?

In order to work out how much contents insurance cover you will need, you will need to go through your home room by room and work out how much all your furniture, items and personal belongings are worth. Don't forget things like clothing and jewellery, mobile phones, tablets, laptops, gifts and soft furnishings. Some insurers will insist that items over a certain value, typically £1,500, are insured separately.

What is Accidental Damage Cover and Do I Need It?

Usually sold as an additional optional extra on standard home insurance policies, accidental damage usually refers to a unique incident which harms either your property or its contents. It is designed to insure and replace your possessions which are damaged by unintended mishaps, such as spillages and breakages in your home. If you accidentally drop a stereo or desktop computer, for example, this would usually be covered. You would not be covered if it simply stopped working. While things like windows and electrical items are usually already covered by a home insurance policy, the policy can be extended to cover things like wine spillages on sofas, or pen-marks on walls. Common DIY mistakes such as hammering a nail through a water pipe are covered, works that should have been undertaken by a qualified plumber or electrician are not.

What is Away From Home Cover and Do I Need It?

You may also get the opportunity to extend your home insurance cover by taking out an additional extra which offers extra home cover for when you are away from home. This can be a viable choice if you are looking at insuring a home that you do not live in all the time.

What Could Invalidate My Home Insurance?

Your home insurance may not cover you if you undertake large renovation projects or home alterations without informing the insurer. Your hoe insurance may also be invalid if you have failed to mention something relevant (such as flood risk or a large tree nearby) to the insurance provider.

Useful Guides

The website is easy to navigate and has a lovely clean design!

- Customer

Facebook Twitter Instagram Google