• Compare Motorbike Insurance for your motorbike
  • 50% of customers paid £168* or less
Get Quotes
Bike Image
Logo Image
3 results found...


Compare Motor Bike Insurance with Money Pug


  • All of us want to feel safe when riding or parking our bikes. In life we can face many eventualities and we must be prepared for them. It is very important that we make sure that we are covered for unfortunate eventualities. If you ride a motorbike on your daily commute, or simply ride for fun, you will likely already know how important it is for your peace of mind to have bike insurance in place.
  • Finding the right insurance can sometimes be bewildering. However, this complication has been eased by Money Pug. Money Pug will help you choose the right insurance deal for your bike. We’ll show you different available insurance offers so that you can carefully choose the right deal for you.

What Do I Need To Have Ready Before I Compare Bike Insurance?

Before you enter your details and receive your bike insurance quotes, you will need to be able to let us know:

  • The make and model of your motorbike.
  • The year of registration of the bike.
  • The horse power or the engine power in CCs.
  • If your bike is an import and not normally found in the UK.
  • If your bike has been changed or modified from the original specifications.
  • How much is your bike worth.
  • Your expected annual mileage.
  • Any security devices or gadget you have for your bike.
  • Where you keep your bike at night.
  • How long you have held your license.

Different levels of cover

  • Different insurance plans offer different levels of cover. They are broadly categorized in three main policies: third party only, third party fire & theft, and fully comprehensive. Just like a car insurance policy, as the level of cover increases, the protection increases too. Keep reading for more information on the different insurance types for motorbikes.

Types of motor bike insurance

  •  Motor bike insurance is broadly described in three different categories. They are as follows:
  • Third Party
  • Third party Fire and Theft
  • Fully comprehensive

Third party

This type of insurance is the most basic type of insurance. It only covers damages and injuries you may cause to others. Prices may vary depending upon your experience and how old your license is. In general this type of insurance is the cheapest of all as it only covers the damage you cause to the other party. Many people choose this plan as this is not very expensive and it offers basic protection and you can get on the road with your motor bike by paying a small sum of money.

Third party+ Fire and theft

This type of insurance offers some more benefits than a normal third party Insurance. It covers damages and injuries like the above and moreover, it also covers Fire and theft. If your motorbike gets stolen or it gets burned in a fire, the insurance policy will cover for it. This type of insurance is slightly more expensive than the simple third party insurance policy. This covers more scenarios and is favoured by many bike riders. Many people who can afford choose this plan because bike theft is common and this policy serves as a protection against such difficult scenarios.

Fully comprehensive

This type of insurance is the one which offers the most benefits and securities. Normally it is more expensive than the two mentioned above. This type of insurance will cover injuries and damages you cause to others, Fire and theft. It will not only cover the damages you cause to others but will also cover the damages and injuries you have suffered. This is generally chosen by people who can afford high priced insurances. As a general rule this type of insurance is the most expensive as it covers many more scenarios in comparison to the other insurance types. Many people who own expensive bikes opt for this insurance as this keeps them fully protected.

Different classes of motorbike use

  • You can easily mix up types of cover and the classes of motor bikes, but they are all different aspects of your insurance plan and you should be aware of them. Basically, these are classified in four categories and involve how and to what purpose you use your bike. These categories are:

Social, domestic and pleasure

This level indicates that you use your bike for only personal use, like meeting friends, hanging out with family and going to clubs. This means you do not use this bike for doing business like delivering parcels etc.


This level covers that you use your bike to meet friends and family and also you use this to go to work. This covers the social, domestic and pleasure category too.

You should indicate your place of work and normally only one place of work is allowed. You have to tell the area where you will normally use your vehicle.

Business use

In this plan, more than one location is covered. You can travel to more locations for work for example commuting to a training course (work related).

Courier and delivery

If you are a food delivery rider, this is the type of plan you need to choose as this covers courier and delivery type of works. Also, many insurance providers include door-to-door sales and other postal services

Bike categories, ages and licence requirements

Licence category Vehicles you can ride Requirements for licence Minimum age
AM Mopeds with speed range of 25 km/h to 45 km/h Compulsory basic training (CBT), theory test, practical test on all powered 2-wheeled moped 16
AM Small 3-wheelers (up to 50 cc and below 4 kW) CBT, theory test, practical test 16
AM Light quadricycles (weighing under 350 kg, top speed 45 km/h) CBT, theory test, practical test 16
Q Same as AM plus 2 or 3-wheeled mopeds with top speed of 25 km/h Granted with AM 16
A1 Light motorcycle up to 11 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.1 kW per kg) and 125 cc CBT, theory test, practical test 17
A1 Motor tricycles with a power output not more than 15 kW CBT, theory test, practical test 17
A2 Standard motorcycle up to 35 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kWper kg), bike mustn’t be derived from vehicle more than twice its power Direct access route – theory and practical

Progressive access route – 2 years experience on A1 motorbike and a further practical test

A Unrestricted motorcycles in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW Direct access route – CBTtheory and practical (you must be at least 24)

Progressive access route – held an A2 licence for a minimum of 2 years – practical test (21 or over)

24 (direct) or 21 (progressive access)

Compare Motorbike Insurance FAQs

What type of Motor bike insurance do I need?
  • The type of motor bike insurance you need depends on your budget, how much you are willing to pay, and other factors such as what you feel is necessary to protect you in your particular circumstances and situation. It also depends on how you plan on using your motor bike and the type of motor bike you own. There are different types of insurance plans available and you will choose the one which fits best for your needs. You will carefully decide before choosing an insurance plan for yourself. You will compare prices of the quotes you get and also the scenarios they cover. This is where Money Pug comes in, helping to make the whole process a lot easier.
How can I get a cheap motor bike Insurance?

Normally, the smaller the bike, the cheaper the insurance. The more powerful your bike, the more you will generally have to pay for the insurance. Insurance price also depends on your age, annual mileage, past record and also where you park it at night. You can reduce the insurance price by applying some approved security devices and by riding a bike with smaller engine capacity. If you need a cheap insurance policy it is suggested you buy a bike with less horse power.

Can I ride my Bike under my car insurance?

Unfortunately, the answer to that is no. You need to have a separate insurance policy for your bike. The insurance for car does not cover your motor bike as it is another vehicle. Your bike has another registration number. This is not legally permitted.

What about the passengers who ride with me on my bike?

The passengers who ride with you on your bike need to be insured separately or are covered by an add on for your insurance plan known as pillion passenger insurance. If you apply for this insurance, there might be a slight increase in the cost of your insurance. Also, you need to make sure your license allows you to take passengers with you. Bear in mind that you will not be able to carry passengers if you have only taken the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). You need a full motorbike license.

Do I need Pillion Passenger Insurance?

If you plan on taking passengers with you on your bike, it is best you purchase a pillion passenger insurance as it will cover your passenger too in case you are involved in an accident. With this type of plan you can safely carry passengers to places as both of you will be covered. People who travel on bikes as couple generally need the pillion passenger insurance.

Is it possible to transfer my car’s no claim bonus to my motorbike?

There are some insurance companies that will allow you to transfer your car’s no claim bonus but the majority will not offer that. You need to speak to you insurance company for more information on this. Only a few insurance companies offer this option.

What could invalidate my Bike insurance?

If you make modifications to your bike which alter the original specifications, then this might invalidate your bike insurance. If you make alterations to your bike this may make changes in its centre of gravity or its performance, making it less safe. This makes the insurance policy void. You will be informed about this when you purchase your insurance plan.

How do the motorbike licence grades work?

This is similar to how other vehicles such as cars, buses and trucks are defined, your motorcycle license only entitles you to ride some motorcycles. If you are restricted, it will normally be based on how old you are, riding history, and the engine capacity of the bike. For more information log on to GOV.UK website

Who do we include in MoneyPugs comparison?

We include every UK MotorBike insurer that offers insurance for the motorbike. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Compare through MoneyPug today! and SAVE Money

Facebook Twitter Instagram Google