Woman cruelly dubbed ‘prune face’ due to large facial birthmark defies bullies in BEST way
The Trinidad woman has lived with a severe facial birthmark for her whole life and has undertaken numerous surgeries to reduce its affects.
After years of battling self-esteem issues, she has learned to accept her body and is determined to make a success of her life.
Strangers have judged her for her appearance for her whole life, but the cruel comments were at the most severe during her school days.
She said: “I think entering high school was when I really had those first confidence issues.
“I would get called, ‘prune face’, ‘purple face’ and one of the popular ones was the ‘purple people eater’.”
She revealed: “People always stare at me when I leave the house. I mean I’m a human being.
“I also feel like I have been in difficult situations with children.
“You know children will often freak out, screaming, crying and everything and I have felt so bad because I’m the cause of their reaction.”
She has undertaken five surgeries and specialised laser treatment over the years to reduce it in size.
The brave woman said: “The surgeries of my birthmark have helped so much. I mean I don’t have this bulk on my face.
“As I would describe it, it’s like having this huge one-inch steak, the weight of it hanging on your face.
“Sometimes I would feel the blood just running and pumping in my birthmark. But I don’t have that anymore. I am able to speak much better which is fantastic.”
The determined activist has learned to accept her port wine stain and has since become a global ambassador for the Vascular Birthmark Foundation.
She said: “I don’t really know what the future holds. In terms of my birthmark, I’d like to have more laser surgery because that is critical.
“I’m not going to say that I’ll ever be perfectly happy with my birthmark, because I don’t love it.
“Despite everything, I am proud of myself and what I have achieved.”
Reported on the daily star
- House goes on sale for £1.3m - but photos of inside leave people feeling 'ill'
- Man tries 'dead grandad' line on girl and gets rejected by the entire internet
- Scotty T declared bankrupt as ex-Geordie Shore star blows hundreds of thousands
- Potato the googly-eyed cat's stunned expression makes people think he's 'broken'
- Katie Price 'plans to ruin Peter Andre’s Christmas by leaking explosive marriage secrets'
- Boy, 6, born with 'tail' is worshipped as a monkey god but parents hide him away
- EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy's incredible body transformation after overhauling her lifestyle
- Katie Price's most outrageously x-rated photos 23 years on from Page 3 debut
- Pregnant Josie Cunningham looks unrecognisable after glam makeover
- Bodybuilding grandmother, 48, with 17 inch biceps was 'shy and awkward' before weightlifting finally gave her confidence