Meet Graham – the deformed man with super-human power
We humans are always pushing limits ― skydiving, downhill skiing, car racing.
The stark reality, however, is that our bodies are not built to survive accidents involving many of the technologies we’ve come to love and rely on, namely automobiles.
Developed as part of a new road safety campaign in Australia, the lifelike sculpture highlights our own vulnerabilities, “designed with bodily features that might be present in humans if they had evolved to withstand the forces involved in [car] crashes,” according to the Transport Accident Commission in the state of Victoria.
Graham was produced by Melbourne-based artist Patricia Piccinini, with help from road safety engineer Dr. David Logan and trauma surgeon Christian Kenfield. His superhuman features include a massive skull to protect the brain; a flat, fatty face capable of absorbing the energy of an impact; no neck, eliminating the possibility of it being broken; stronger, thicker skin: ribs fortified with their own air bags; knees capable of bending in all directions; and an extra leg joint that allows him to jump out of the way of a moving vehicle.
In short, Graham would have no trouble walking away from a high-speed, head-on collision.
In an announcement about TAC’s new safety campaign, chief executive Joe Calafiore said cars have evolved much quicker than human beings.
“Graham helps us understand why we need to improve every aspect of our roads system to protect ourselves from our own mistakes,” he said.
In 2013 alone, 1.25 million people died globally in road traffic accidents, according to the World Health Organization.
Graham will be on display at the State Library of Victoria until August 8 and TAC has set up a website where people can interact with the superhuman.
“We have to accept people will always make mistakes, but modern vehicle safety technology and safe road design can drastically reduce the forces involved when a crash happens, making them more survivable,” Calafiore said.
Reported via the huffpost
- Katie Price risks losing messy mansion after fresh bid for bankruptcy
- Gemma Collins shows off three stone weight loss on night out in fancy floral gown
- Katie Price's brutally ravaged face and weeping surgical scars revealed in full
- Fears for Katie Price after she is 'dragged out of boozer stumbling' by Kris Boyson
- Bruised and swollen Katie Price, is swathed in surgical tape, following her latest batch of surgery and his 'half-price' nose job
- Kim Kardashian fan told his 'leaking bum implants were actually fake breasts'
- Ex on the Beach star Laura-Alicia Summers unveils £500k surgery transformation
- Katie Price gets 'bum op, face lift and another boob job in latest surgery spree
- Meet the inking addict who tattooed their eyes, penis and anus
- EastEnders' Clair Norris unrecognisable from Bernadette while on holiday with boyfriend