Dive into the world of the real life MERMEN
Reported on the daily star
Daily Star Online recently caught up with two men who regularly transform themselves into mermen.
The Instagram stars spend their time splashing around in the water with replica tails.
The 30-year-old enjoyed reading stories about the fictional creatures from a young age.
He explained: “I have been drawn to the mysticism and folklore of mermaids since I was a child.
“Growing up, Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’ was an absolute favourite of mine.”
Merman Chris, a 25-year-old from Germany, had a similar fascination with the mythological characters.
He revealed: “Disney’s The Little Mermaid used to be my favourite movie when I was about five-years- old.
“I watched it every day. My Mum and Dad were pretty annoyed.”
Marino said: “It wasn’t until about a year and a half ago that I learned about the possibilities of becoming a real-life mermaid (or merman per-say), and immediately started planning my mermaid journey.”
To kick-start is mythological transformation, the American man purchased a realistic tail.
These silicon accessories don’t come cheap, retailing for hundreds of pounds.
They are also a little tricky to manoeuvre until you get used to them.
“Tails can range from the simple (yet effective) fabric tails made from stretch fabric, to the extravagant, top-of-the-line tails made from dragonskin silicone…
“For beginners, a simple stretch fabric tail is enough to feel the mermaid fantasy for yourself and decide if you are ready to invest in something more professional.
“Also to note, silicone tails can be heavy, up to 40 or even 50lbs, so these are only recommended for a much practiced mermaid.”
Chris agrees that working with tails is one of the most difficult things about being a professional merman.
“The tails I’m working with weigh up to 50lbs when wet.
“You need to be a good swimmer and have to learn breath-holding techniques.
“You need to built general strength in your upper body and lower back to be able to swim gracefully…
“Also looking nice under water is not always easy.
“Water can be pretty cold, very salty or chlorine will hurt the eyes.
“After some time in a heavy silicone tail the feet begin to hurt like crazy because the ankles are stretched in an unnatural position all the time. But it is worth it.”
They now enjoy splashing around in the sea, where they often interact with marine life.
Chris said: “My favourite place to swim is the Florida Springs – nice water temperature, crystal water and beautiful fish.”
Similarly, Merman Marino enjoys paddling in picturesque settings.
He revealed: “My favourite places to swim are those that are outdoors and in natural habitats, such as rivers and streams.
“They’re places that allow me to experience fish and other creatures in their natural state.”
- Barbie wannabe, 19, spends £14k a year on surgery to look like favourite doll
- Katie Price risks losing messy mansion after fresh bid for bankruptcy
- Gemma Collins shows off three stone weight loss on night out in fancy floral gown
- Katie Price's brutally ravaged face and weeping surgical scars revealed in full
- Fears for Katie Price after she is 'dragged out of boozer stumbling' by Kris Boyson
- Bruised and swollen Katie Price, is swathed in surgical tape, following her latest batch of surgery and his 'half-price' nose job
- Kim Kardashian fan told his 'leaking bum implants were actually fake breasts'
- Ex on the Beach star Laura-Alicia Summers unveils £500k surgery transformation
- Katie Price gets 'bum op, face lift and another boob job in latest surgery spree
- Meet the inking addict who tattooed their eyes, penis and anus