Corrie’s Jack Webster set for major pay day as he’s ‘owed millions after doc’s mistake’?
Little Jack Webster (Kyran Bowes) has had a terrible ordeal over the past 12 months on Coronation Street after being affected by sepsis.
The youngster’s nightmare started after he hurt himself playing football, though his symptoms started getting worse and worse.
A number of doctors and nurses looked over him but failed to diagnose sepsis, despite him showing some symptoms.
They said: “Sepsis can be fatal and can start with something as simple as a cut or graze. Coronation Street did an excellent job last year at highlighting how even a graze might progress to sepsis with life changing consequences.
“Sepsis can be really hard to identify and failing to do so doesn’t always mean that the doctors have been negligent. Signs and symptoms of sepsis might look like a nasty case of flu and might include acting out of the ordinary or being confused, feeling tired, having shivers or feeling cold, feeling lethargic or being difficult to wake, having a temperature (too high or too low), having mottled skin which might look pale or discoloured, having a rash which might not fade when you press on it or struggling to breathe easily.
“Medical advice should be sought urgently if any of these symptoms are present. People should trust their instincts and if something doesn’t feel right then call for help. The sooner that treatment can begin the better. Most people will make a full recovery but for some things can be much more serious.”
The advisor said that because of Jack’s case, which saw his leg amputated, he will have “a lifetime of needs which the NHS can only do so much to meet”.
They continued: “If Jack had a claim for medical negligence and it was concluded that the amputation was avoidable, then he would be able to claim compensation for a number of things including his pain and suffering (a below knee amputation might achieve an award of about £100,000 to £120,000 depending on severity).
“The cost of prosthetic limbs for everyday use, sport and swimming, with the aim of trying to get Jack back to as close to the life he had before the amputation would be significant because they would need to be replaced and maintained over the course of his lifetime. The costs of equipment like a wheelchair for the times that he cannot use his prosthetic leg and the costs of rehabilitation to include physiotherapy, counselling, therapies which can be accessed much quicker and much more intensively than through the NHS would all contribute to his recovery.
“Also, there is likely to be a requirement for a buddy or a carer to help Jack with everyday tasks to begin with, adjust to his new life and a requirement for adapted accommodation or even single level living in the future.”
They went on: “The cost of a negligent failure to spot sepsis can be extremely high both to the patient in terms of the devastating injuries and the dramatic overnight change to their life and to the NHS in terms of the financial cost of putting right that mistake insofar as they are able to do so with money to meet the needs of the negligently injured.
“If Jack were to pursue a claim for compensation and was successful, then this would very likely be a multi-million pound claim for compensation.
- Katie Price risks losing messy mansion after fresh bid for bankruptcy
- Gemma Collins shows off three stone weight loss on night out in fancy floral gown
- Katie Price's brutally ravaged face and weeping surgical scars revealed in full
- Fears for Katie Price after she is 'dragged out of boozer stumbling' by Kris Boyson
- Bruised and swollen Katie Price, is swathed in surgical tape, following her latest batch of surgery and his 'half-price' nose job
- Kim Kardashian fan told his 'leaking bum implants were actually fake breasts'
- Ex on the Beach star Laura-Alicia Summers unveils £500k surgery transformation
- Katie Price gets 'bum op, face lift and another boob job in latest surgery spree
- Meet the inking addict who tattooed their eyes, penis and anus
- EastEnders' Clair Norris unrecognisable from Bernadette while on holiday with boyfriend