Woman inseparable from giant pet snail that she loves cuddling on sofa
A woman has told of how she loves nothing more than cuddling her giant African snail on the sofa – and doesn’t mind when it covers her body in slime.
Magdalena Dusza, from Krakow, Poland, adopted slimey pal Misiek after spotting in an appalling condition in a pet shop.
Ever since she was a young girl she knew that she would rather have a pet snail over a cat or dog like most people.
And despite the large amount of space Misiek takes up in her home – he has a 130-litre tank – Magdalena says it is very easy to look after him.
“I had dreamed about owning a giant snail since I was in primary school,” she said.
“We had similar snail in our biology classroom as a school pet, and I fell in love with these amazing creatures.”
Magdalena rescued Misiek – which fittingly is Polish for ‘teddy bear’ – six years ago from the pet shop.
She said: “They kept him in a very small box, with low humidity, which is deadly for snails, and he had an invasion of parasites and damaged shell.
“At first when I saw him, I couldn’t even recognise the species.
“I didn’t believe he would survive the night and didn’t want to pay for an almost dead animal.
“After a sleepless night, I decided that I have to give him a chance and rescue him.
“That day, I went back and bought him.”
Misiek eats mostly vegetables and fruits.
“His favourites are sweet potatoes and bananas. He is also great fan of fish flakes food,” Magdalena added.
“Snails do not have very complex nervous system, so we don’t interact in the traditional sense like a cat or a dog.
“However, this really doesn’t stop me from talking to Misiek every day.”
Unfortunately, while most people are amazed by Magdalena having a pet giant African snail, some can be cruel with their comments towards Misiek.
Magdalena said: “There are also sometimes negative reactions, like people being disgusted.
“Sometimes they try to joke and ask me if I am going to cook and eat my snails, but to be honest, it is not really funny at all.
“Despite these comments, owning Misiek is a very unusual but rewarding passion, especially when you can observe your snails growing big and healthy.
“Because they are so slow and majestic, observing them is good for nerves, it makes you calm and relaxed.
“I would advise everyone to go and get giant snail for their own.”
Reported on the mirror
- House goes on sale for £1.3m - but photos of inside leave people feeling 'ill'
- Man tries 'dead grandad' line on girl and gets rejected by the entire internet
- Scotty T declared bankrupt as ex-Geordie Shore star blows hundreds of thousands
- Potato the googly-eyed cat's stunned expression makes people think he's 'broken'
- Katie Price 'plans to ruin Peter Andre’s Christmas by leaking explosive marriage secrets'
- Boy, 6, born with 'tail' is worshipped as a monkey god but parents hide him away
- EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy's incredible body transformation after overhauling her lifestyle
- Katie Price's most outrageously x-rated photos 23 years on from Page 3 debut
- Pregnant Josie Cunningham looks unrecognisable after glam makeover
- Bodybuilding grandmother, 48, with 17 inch biceps was 'shy and awkward' before weightlifting finally gave her confidence