Those of us who are lucky enough to own a dog know exactly how much they mean to us. I know that a lot of people hate when we call them our children, but sometimes that’s how it feels.
However, a new study has found that some of the things that people are doing to help their dogs stay healthy are actually causing more harm than good. A a recent surge in popularity for grain-free pet food may in fact be behind a rise in heart disease in dogs, veterinarians fear.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has released a report that explains that they have found a link between grain-free dog foods and heart disease in our four-legged pals.
British food manufacturers have revealed they are concerned that natural health foods may be linked to a potentially fatal canine heart disease after US regulators launched an investigation.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said the investigation was prompted by a “highly unusual” number of cases of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs with diets high in lentils and protein.
Top dogs | Breed registrations in 2016 (2015)
- Retriever (Labrador) – 33,856 (32,507)
- Spaniel (Cocker) – 21,854 (22,577)
- French Bulldog – 21,470 (14,607)
- Pug – 10,408 (10,087)
- Spaniel (English Springer) – 9,827 (10,246)
- Bulldog – 7,785 (6,960)
- German Shepherd Dog – 7,751 (7,783)
- Retriever (Golden) – 7,232 (6,928)
- Miniature Schnauzer – 5,437 (5,302)
- Border Terrier – 5,150 (5,426)
Source: The Kennel Club
How do you know if your dog has heart failure?
There are some signs you can watch out for if you are worried about this affecting your dog:
- Reduced exercise ability
- Tiring quickly
- Rapid breathing and excessive panting
- Sudden weakness
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, seek veterinary help immediately.
The important thing is to discuss your dog’s diet with your vet before you make any big changes, and make sure you do what’s best for them.
- House goes on sale for £1.3m - but photos of inside leave people feeling 'ill'
- Man tries 'dead grandad' line on girl and gets rejected by the entire internet
- Scotty T declared bankrupt as ex-Geordie Shore star blows hundreds of thousands
- Potato the googly-eyed cat's stunned expression makes people think he's 'broken'
- Katie Price 'plans to ruin Peter Andre’s Christmas by leaking explosive marriage secrets'
- Boy, 6, born with 'tail' is worshipped as a monkey god but parents hide him away
- EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy's incredible body transformation after overhauling her lifestyle
- Katie Price's most outrageously x-rated photos 23 years on from Page 3 debut
- Pregnant Josie Cunningham looks unrecognisable after glam makeover
- Bodybuilding grandmother, 48, with 17 inch biceps was 'shy and awkward' before weightlifting finally gave her confidence