Emmerdale’s Shila Iqbal AXED from soap over ‘historic racist tweets’
Emmerdale actress Shila Iqbal has been axed from her role in the soap over offensive historic social media posts that recently came to light.
It comes just weeks after 24-year-old Iqbal joined the ITV soap as permanent cast member, after making a brief appearance as Aiesha Richards in 2018.
An Emmerdale spokeswoman confirmed news of her depature: “As a consequence of historic social media posts Shila Iqbal has left her role as Aiesha Richards on Emmerdale.
“The programme took the decision not to renew her contract as soon as these posts were brought to the company’s attention.”
According to Mail Online, Iqbal was fired after bosses learnt of a series of historic ‘racist’ tweets in which the N-word was used, claims an insider.
The posts are said to have dated back to 2013 when Iqbal was 19-years-old and attended college in Rochdale.
Iqbal has since deleted her Twitter account.
After news of her sacking emerged, Iqbal issued a public apology and said she takes full responsibility for her ‘inappropriate language.’
She said: “I am terribly sorry and take full responsibility for my use of such inappropriate language. I have paid the price and can no longer continue the job I loved the most at Emmerdale.
“Although I was young when I made the Tweets, it was still completely wrong of me to do so and I sincerely apologise.
“The only consideration I would ask is that I have recently received hateful tweets telling me that as a Muslim my Emmerdale role means that I am ‘committing sinful acts, promoting sin and deliberately going against the Quran’.
“We live in sensitive times for members of all communities and especially those in multi-racial Rochdale where I grew up.
“I regret that I too have let people down by the use of such language, albeit six years ago. I, like everyone else have a responsibility about the language I have used on social media as well as in conversation.”
- House goes on sale for £1.3m - but photos of inside leave people feeling 'ill'
- Man tries 'dead grandad' line on girl and gets rejected by the entire internet
- Scotty T declared bankrupt as ex-Geordie Shore star blows hundreds of thousands
- Potato the googly-eyed cat's stunned expression makes people think he's 'broken'
- Katie Price 'plans to ruin Peter Andre’s Christmas by leaking explosive marriage secrets'
- Boy, 6, born with 'tail' is worshipped as a monkey god but parents hide him away
- EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy's incredible body transformation after overhauling her lifestyle
- Katie Price's most outrageously x-rated photos 23 years on from Page 3 debut
- Pregnant Josie Cunningham looks unrecognisable after glam makeover
- Bodybuilding grandmother, 48, with 17 inch biceps was 'shy and awkward' before weightlifting finally gave her confidence