Doctors had to amputate man’s arm 12 hours after he had dinner
Millions of people try new food every day, but one thing many people haven’t tried is sushi. Although it’s been around for decades since the 1960s, it’s only the last 10 or 15 years that it has become wildly popular in the United Kingdom.
However, for one South Korean man, sushi is the food that nearly cost him his life. Sushi is made up several components, but the fish part of sushi is never cooked, so if you eat it, you know you’re eating raw meat.
You’ve likely been told since you were a kid that eating raw meat can be dangerous. Raw meat can be contaminated with bacteria that can result in severe food born illness.
That’s exactly what happened to this man. He’d eaten sushi thousands of times and never got sick once. But one day, after an evening of eating sushi, he began forming blisters and bruises on his hand and arm.
Just 12 hours after eating the contaminated sushi, his hand had swollen so much it began to leak. He rushed to the doctor knowing that something was horribly wrong. As soon as he told the doctor he’d eaten sushi, they knew immediately that the man was suffering from a flesh-eating bacteria infection.
The doctor drained the blisters and carefully pulled away as much of the infected tissue as possible, but despite their efforts, the man ended up losing his hand because of the contaminated sushi.
The man finally had to undergo surgery nearly a month after eating the fateful sushi and is now having to learn how to live without a left hand and forearm at the age of 71.
With sushi popularity still on the rise, it is important to hear stories like this to ensure that what you’re eating is safe. Be sure to share this story with your family and friends so they can be reminded to take precaution as well.
- House goes on sale for £1.3m - but photos of inside leave people feeling 'ill'
- Man tries 'dead grandad' line on girl and gets rejected by the entire internet
- Scotty T declared bankrupt as ex-Geordie Shore star blows hundreds of thousands
- Potato the googly-eyed cat's stunned expression makes people think he's 'broken'
- Katie Price 'plans to ruin Peter Andre’s Christmas by leaking explosive marriage secrets'
- Boy, 6, born with 'tail' is worshipped as a monkey god but parents hide him away
- EastEnders star Natalie Cassidy's incredible body transformation after overhauling her lifestyle
- Katie Price's most outrageously x-rated photos 23 years on from Page 3 debut
- Pregnant Josie Cunningham looks unrecognisable after glam makeover
- Bodybuilding grandmother, 48, with 17 inch biceps was 'shy and awkward' before weightlifting finally gave her confidence