Boy born with no eyes lives life to the full – even though he can’t see, speak or eat
If this wasn’t difficult enough, his facial disfigurement prevents him from eating or speaking.
Even though the Tennessee boy has had to overcome some hurdles in life, his optimistic and curious attitude to life is inspiring others.
Christian has grown up with Tessier cleft lip and palate, a rare condition which has only been documented 60 times in medical history.
This syndrome is caused by facial tissues not joining properly during development and causes facial disfigurement.
His mum, Lacey, explained: “His condition was caused by amniotic banding syndrome.
“Fibrous bands can form in the womb and if they attach to the baby they cut off blood flow, so Christian’s banding happened to attach to his face.”
Since he was four days old, he has taken in food through a feeding tube.
His condition has also obstructed other aspects of life, which include learning and speaking.
Even though he has battled Tessier clef lip and palate since birth, he doesn’t let his syndrome hold him back.
Lacey said: “The biggest way Christian’s condition affects his daily life is his vision impairment.
“Because he is completely blind, he has to learn to navigate the world in the dark.”
Even though the primary school child is determined to live life to the full, it can be difficult when passers-by judge him over his appearance.
His caring mum has had to teach him how to respond to awkward questions.
“There is this huge social stigma about being different”
“Just recently we had an issue, we were in a store and Christian was playing with a little toy in the shelf and a lady walked by and said, ‘eww.’
“He has heard people making certain comments. He hears kids say things like ‘Why does he look like that? What’s wrong with his eyes?’
“I have always answered children in a very, positive, upbeat tone and I will say things like, ‘Oh, that’s just how Christian was born.’”
Eventually, operations should help him to eat and speak properly.
He also attends classes every week that help him learn life skills including dressing himself.
Attending these lessons has given him confidence and allowed him to meet kids of his own age.
Lacey revealed: “Christian is a very typical six-year-old little boy. He’s learning to read, he likes to wrestle with his little brother – all the things that any six-year-old would enjoy.
“I would definitely describe Christian as independent. I remember a few years ago he started saying, ‘I want to do it all by myself mummy.’
“He’s curious and he wants to explore the world and he’s not afraid to do it.”
Reported on the dailystar
- Katie Price risks losing messy mansion after fresh bid for bankruptcy
- Gemma Collins shows off three stone weight loss on night out in fancy floral gown
- Katie Price's brutally ravaged face and weeping surgical scars revealed in full
- Fears for Katie Price after she is 'dragged out of boozer stumbling' by Kris Boyson
- Bruised and swollen Katie Price, is swathed in surgical tape, following her latest batch of surgery and his 'half-price' nose job
- Kim Kardashian fan told his 'leaking bum implants were actually fake breasts'
- Ex on the Beach star Laura-Alicia Summers unveils £500k surgery transformation
- Katie Price gets 'bum op, face lift and another boob job in latest surgery spree
- Meet the inking addict who tattooed their eyes, penis and anus
- EastEnders' Clair Norris unrecognisable from Bernadette while on holiday with boyfriend